Computer monitors have a strong impact on our work quality and work productivity. Since they come in different sizes, usage, colours, displays, technologies, and prices, we need to be careful enough in choosing one. Natural Low Blue Light, In-Plane Switching technology, Ultra-slim design, and In-Plane Switching FHD panel are some of the key features of today’s monitors. The average screen size ranges between 24-inch and 32-inch. A monitor which is not suitable for your job can have a negative impact on your work, affecting productivity and overall efficiency. On the contrary, a good monitor lets you see what you are doing without any strain on your eyes or tilt your head to get to the best viewing angle.
Explore below different types of computer monitors based on usage, display, screen size, and colour displays.
- General use: One can use monitors for different purposes. The most common ones are word processing, web browsing, data entry, marketing, sending & receiving emails, watching movies, and so on. When buying a monitor for home use, choose one with a refresh rate of 60Hz or faster, a response time of 5 ms or faster, full HD resolution, and a horizontal viewing angle of 178° or more. Monitors for personal usage run Microsoft Office applications, and web browsers. No need to pick one with heavy graphics.
- Designs, Creatives (Graphic Design, Photo & Video): For digital artists, content creators, or professionals in the field of visual entertainment, a monitor with DisplayPort 1.2, dual-link DVI ports, and HDMI is a good choice. To connect multiple monitors, chose a model with Thunderbolt-in and-out ports or a DisplayPort 1.2. For learning or doing school projects, a monitor with Full HD (1920 x 1080) is ideal, but for professionals and graphic designers, a screen with a better resolution of at least 2,560×1,440 pixels is the right option.
- Gaming: The monitor for gaming needs to be fast. Response time should not be more than 3ms. Refresh rates run up to 240Hz. 1080p is common. Screen size determines your resolution. If you want something smaller, opt for a 24″ Full HD display whereas a 27-inch computer monitor (2560 x 1440), also known as 1440p or QHD is perfect for the mid-range. Then at the top end is a 32-inch 4k monitor. You can find other options as well, such as 4K 27-inch displays and QHD 32″ displays and things outside these sizes and resolutions and aspect ratios.
There are five types of monitors CRT (Cathode Ray tube), LCD (Liquid Crystal Display), LED (Liquid Emitting Diode), OLED (Organic Light Emitting Diode), and Plasma monitors. All these monitors can be used on computer desktops and televisions.
- LCD Monitor: The most used worldwide, the LCD monitor requires less space, consumes less electricity, and produces relatively less heat. It is thinner and much lighter in size. It consumes less energy and gives a fine brighter screen display
- LED Monitor: LED is the latest innovation in the market. It is brighter with 4k resolution than other displays. It consumes less power than LCD and a widely used to play high graphics and HD games. LED displays are designed to produce images with vivid colours and higher contrast. These screens can give flicker-free images which reduced eye strain, headaches, and fatigue.
- OLED Monitor: OLED monitors are flat computer displays, consisting of pixels that are made from OLEDs (Organic Light Emitting Diodes). Unlike LCD technology, OLED doesn’t require backlighting to work. It has an infinite contrast ratio that’s made possible by its individually dimming pixels. It is capable of rich colours and near-instantaneous pixel response times. It is best for gaming, watching movies, and comfortable for your eyes due to the high contrast level and per-pixel light-emitting diodes. OLED monitors are the right option where colour quality matters.
- CRT Monitor: Packed with CRT technology, CRT monitors are heavy, bulky, and costly. They are much heavier in size compared to LCD and LED. Due to this, transporting them from one place to another is very difficult and risky. They require more space for installation. Many organizations have stopped using CRT monitors. If you’re using it, better replace it with a light, cheaper and reliable monitor.
- Plasma Monitor: A plasma display is a flat panel display. It uses a tiny bit of plasma (electrically charged ionized gas) to illuminate each pixel to produce a display output. It is a computer video display. Plasma displays are thinner as compared to CRT displays and brighter than LCDs.
Screen size is another factor that categorizes computer monitors. The size is likely to be the first thing to consider when looking for your next monitor. The size of a monitor screen is measured diagonally from the bottom corner to its opposite top corner. It can range up to 80-inch and beyond. However, the average range should be between 24 inches and 32 inches.
To select the right size for your monitor screen, consider its resolution and how far you’re sitting from the screen. Anyway, avoid 1920×1080 on anything larger than 25-inch monitors and 1440p is great for 27-inch monitors. 4K is ideal for a 27-inch to a 43-inch monitor, depending on preference.
- 24-inch computer monitor display: 24-inch display is optimum if you´ve got a smaller desk. It is ideal for extremely high frame rates, and some come equipped with QHD for gaming. It provides great colour and contrast, a very sleek design, and hidden speakers (to save space). Full HD (1080p) stays reasonably sharp on monitors of this size. Because a 24-inch monitor is not too big, it can be easily placed in a setup with 2 screens. It is also suitable for gaming, though a larger size is more comfortable.
- 27-inch computer monitor display: A 27-inch computer monitor display is the most popular one. It has increased resolutions and some features that allow for maximizing this benefit. For example, a 27-inch 1440p screen offers 70% more space than a typical 1920 x 1080 model with an increase in sharpness and level of detail. It is impressive for gaming and good for office use. If 27-inch monitors run at 1440p or QHD, they will be best viewed from about 80cm to one meter (three feet).
- 32-inch computer monitor display: For ample space, a pair of 32-inch monitor displays can work great. It is a good fit for certain types of office work, multimedia viewing, and everyday uses. But, it will be too big for high-level gaming. Please note that large monitors can cause a serious eye strain issue, especially if you lack a deep desk.
In a nutshell, buying a computer monitor between 24 and 30 inches is the right choice because they certainly accomplish the job for most home office workers. A monitor within this size range can optimize modern resolutions and color clarity.
Choose a Computer Monitor Which Right for You
As you can see, monitors can be selected based on usage, display (LCD, LED, OLED, CTR), and Screen size (19 inch, 24 inch, 27 inch, 32 inches, and so on). There is still a wealth of features that make every model different from others. The information above will help you visualize how you want your setup to function.